Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mushroom - Sage & Rice Soup

I made the best soup ever the other day, I just have to share this recipe with everyone. This is one of those soul healing recipes. I don't know why, but good food always fixes what ever is going on, even if it's only for the small moment in time that I am eating it, and sometimes that is all you are going to get, so take it while it comes! ( Can we say STRESS EATER?) Yes, I am a stress eater and food is my best friend. So sit back and enjoy spending time with one of my best friends.... Soup! :)

It really is pretty easy to make, it just takes some time to cook the rice. I am horrible at taking pictures of the whole process. Half of the time I don't even think about bloging or taking pictures of stuff until I am almost finished doing whatever it is I am doing. I do have a few pics for you though.

This is the soup when it's finished and ready to serve (minus the parmesan cheese you are supposed to put on top). Now, it's a vegetarian recipe but I added some shredded chicken to it. The actual recipe calls for these Morningstar brand chic'n strips, which are like a vegan version of chicken. I'm not a big fan of the "fake" meats you can get for vegetarian meals, either you are going to eat meat or your not, but don't fake it! Anyways, that is just my opinion. The chicken in it was good, but I am sure it would taste just fine without any chicken at all. We are not total vegetarians, but J and I are runners, and we have just found that our bodies function better when we are not eating meat every day of the week. Also J has had some major Gallbladder problems, and has found that cutting out a lot of the meat and greasy foods from his diet has made any Gallbladder pain go away. Which is a better alternative to surgery it you ask me.

Now, you can't have amazing soup, with out some sort of bread! So, I googled a fast and easy recipe for Rolls and whipped them up pretty fast! Yum.... I love rolls, I love any kind of bread in general! I also love Google! :) With these rolls, I followed the recipe exactly. For the oil or butter part I used oil. I personally like to use Canola Oil for the things I bake and for the things I am frying, or sauteing I use Olive Oil. I very rarely use Vegetable oil. I just think Canola oil is better for you and makes things taste a little better. But Vegetable oil works good too! When I filled my muffin pans with the dough, I weighed my dough pieces before I rolled them into balls and put them in my muffin pans, and so each one weighted 2 oz and the rolls turned out the perfect size. Also, if you don't have enough muffin pans, like me I only have 1, then I just put the rest of the dough balls onto a cookie sheet, and they were still perfect that way too! I only let my rolls raise about 1/2 an hour (because that is all of the time I had) and I didn't have any problems. So, as you can see these rolls are super fast to whip up if you don't have a lot of time to prepare dinner.

So, here is what I sat down to when it was time to finally eat. Sooooo good. Soup just makes you feel all warm, and cozy, and deliriously full. See, you are smiling and feeling better just thinking about it!

The Recipes

Mushroom Soup

2 T Butter
1 c finely chopped onion
3 celery stalks, chopped finely
1 1/2 tsp rubbed sage
4 T all purpose flour
5 c vegetable stock
4 oz brown rice
8 oz mushrooms
1 T soy sauce
1 pkg Morningstar Chic'n Strips (optional, can substitute with real chicken)
1 c heavy cream
1/2 c shredded parmesan cheese

Melt 1 T butter in lg saucepan. Add onion, celery and sage. Fry on medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir in flour & continue to stir for 2 more minutes. Add vegetable broth 1/4 cup at a time until flour is all mixed in, then pour in remaining broth. Stir to combine completely. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low. Stir in rice. Simmer for aprox 30 minutes. In another pan, melt remaining T of butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms & soy sauce. Saute for apx 6-8 minutes. Add mushrooms to soup. Add chicken and cream. Continue to simmer for aprox 10-15 minutes. Season to taste with Salt and Pepper. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
(Recipe came from the e-mealz website)

Rolls

1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 c lukewarm water
1 egg
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 c oil or melted butter
3 c flour, sifted

Dissolve yeast in water, then add egg, sugar, salt, and oil (or butter). Add 1/2 the flour and beat with mixer until smooth, then add the rest of the flour and beat until smooth. Fill greased muffin pans 1/2 full and let rise until double. Bake @ 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Brush tops with butter while still warm.

(This recipe came from www.Cooks.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment