Saturday, March 26, 2011

Monkey Bread and Little Bo Bakes

Since everyone has been sick, we really haven't been doing much except hanging out around the house. I have had a lot of time to spend on the computer, and I have been doing a lot of blog surfing. One of my favorite blogs to visit is http://www.littlebobakes.blogspot.com/. I know and love Little Bo Bakes, and her blog is all about (you guessed it) baking! YUM! She is the best baker I know. Her baked goods complete my world! :)

Now, I have already stated that I am NOT a good baker. Little Bo Bakes is a phenomenal baker. I used to live by Little Bo Bakes.... and she would bake for me all of the time. That was a non-bakers (and stress eaters) heaven. I got to enjoy heaven on earth on a weekly basis, and I didn't even have to do anything. (sigh) But... all good things must come to an end. I will admit I ended it first. I moved away first, and then she moved. Since then, I have had a baked goods addiction that can only be really satisfied by her baking. And yes, her baking has saved my life on several different occasions. :) Every once in a while though, I do try and make something for myself, but I have to be realistic and know it's just not going to be the same, but I do try!

So, there I was on Friday morning, in the snow... yes the snow... (what happened so spring?). I was on Little Bo Bakes blog, and there it was... Monkey bread. I admit I had already bought the stuff to make Monkey bread, but had kinda forgotten about it, since I am the one currently sick, and I was in a drug/cranky kids/snow in spring fog. But there it was, the post was staring me in the face. I couldn't resist.

So here is my attempt at Monkey Bread.


Here are the ingredients I used.

You start by taking the biscuits out of the tubes and cutting them into 4 pieces each.

Then, you put the cinnamon and sugar in a bag, I stuck 10 biscuit pieces in at a time, and you shake the bag to coat. (I did end up doing another 1/2 T of cinnamon about half of the way through. I really wanted to make sure ALL of the pieces had enough cinnamon) :) Then you place them in your pan of choice, that is already coated with butter. I used a bunt pan, but you can use a smaller 8 x 8 square pan if you don't have a bunt pan.

Once all the pieces are placed in your pan of choice, you then sprinkle them with coconut and nuts.

Next, you bring the butter and brown sugar to a boil, and let it cool for about 10 minutes. Then you drizzle the butter & brown sugar goodness on top of the heaven already in your pan. ( I confess, I couldn't wait the whole 10 minutes. I was too excited!) Then bake!

Now, a word of caution! I am not baking professional. So, I am showing you all the dirty behind the scenes stuff. I caramelized my oven! Not a pretty picture. So... when you put your pan full of sugar coated heaven in your oven, put a pan or tin foil underneath it. I checked on it about 15 minutes into it and realized what was happening and put a pan under it, but the damage was already done! Smoke was consistently coming out of my burners, and I had to turn the microwave fan on so my smoke detectors wouldn't go off, but I wasn't giving up!

This is how it looked when it came out! I was so excited. When you pull it out, you are supposed to let it sit about 15 minutes. (I confess, I couldn't wait that long either, I just had to dump it out and attack it after 10 minutes.) And, yes it does look a little crispy, so I would suggest maybe moving the top rack of my oven down next time. Oh well, it's too late now. Maybe I'll have to remember that next time I attempt to bake.


This is the finished product all dumped out, warm and ready to eat. No, it did not come out even, and all at once. But I hate the recipes that have this perfect picture of the food you are supposed to be making, because NO ONE can ever really make it look like the picture. So, here is the NON perfect picture of my monkey bread.

Yes, my oven was sad, and it may have been a little crispy on top, and my picture is less than perfect, but it was sooo... yummy! My 3 little monkeys and I enjoyed it, even with all of it's flaws, on or snowy, spring, sick day.

The Recipe

4 cans refrigerator biscuits (about 40)
1 1/2 T cinnamon
1/2 c butter
1 c white sugar
1 c brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup peans. and coconut (if desired)

Cut each biscuit into 4 pieces. Pour sugar and cinnamon into a plastic bag and mix. Add biscuit pieces, several at a time; shake to coat well. Place pieces in a buttered tube or Bundt pan until all are used. Sprinkle layers with nuts and coconut. Bring brown sugar and butter to a boil in saucepan. Cool 10 minutes, then pour over top of biscuits. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool 15 minutes before removing from pan. Turn upside down to serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment