Thursday, March 10, 2011

Whatever gets the job done.

Okay, since everyone has been sick lately I haven't had much time for crafting. I have spent the majority of my time driving to and from the Dr, and trying to keep my house clean. Which is what gave me the idea for this post.


I am a stay at home mom, and I spend most of my time cleaning, cleaning, and then when I'm done I usually have more cleaning to do. It gets so boring..... I struggle with keeping my house clean. I am not one of those naturally clean people, who automatically just cleans up after myself as soon as I am done with whatever it is that I am doing. So, my house is never really "dirty" I would say, but it is always cluttered!

I swear I have ADHD, because I can never just concentrate on cleaning. I'll pick up something in one room and take it to another room to put it away, but I usually get distracted on the way to wherever it is that I am going, and then I start cleaning another room, or doing something else that has nothing to do with cleaning. My kids are always interrupting me and needing something, and by the time I am done with all of my distractions it has been 4 hours, I'm exhausted, and nothing is clean, and I don't even remember the room I started cleaning in to begin with, so I usually end up starting the whole process over again in another room!

This is where my head phones come in! I have found that if I listen to my head phones while I clean I can totally concentrate and I get so much stuff done. In one hour with my head phones on I can usually get as much stuff done as I would get done in a day with no head phones. It's awesome. The down side is, that I am usually singing and dancing while I listen to my head phones. Unless I am running, I can't NOT sing and dance while I listen to my music. It's almost an involuntary response. I'm a horrible singer, and I can only imagine the horrible things my kids are suffering through while I am singing as loud as I can with my head phones on, and I can't actually hear the notes I am singing. It's the same story for dancing. I'm a terrible dancer. I'm like Elaine off of Seinfeld. Did you guys ever see the episode where Elaine goes to this party and George is there with her, and he see Elaine dancing and all of these people are staring at her with these horrified faces because she is such a bad dancer. Later on in the episode George is trying to describe to Seinfeld how bad she dances and he says "It's like watching a full body dry heave." Okay, this is totally me. Just picture me, in my sweats, shouting Lady Gaga at the top of my lungs and doing a full body dry heave all over my house while I am cleaning..... I'm sure it's an awful site to see, but it gets the job done! So until I find a better solution for my cleaning disability, this will just have to do and my family will just have to deal with it. It makes me happy, and that's all that matters anyways, right? :)

4 comments:

  1. I think you should bring your headphones over to my house and do some cleaning.......I could use some entertainment today! :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Jess! Great idea. You know ... you really should grow some kids old enough to help you out with all this cleaning business. Then you can just listen to your head phones and sing and dance and NOT clean. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hillarious! I have the same problem! Also with the dancing! However my favorite cleaning music is the soundtrack to Muppets in Space! Gets me to move. However,I need some headphones. I think Hayden would thank me. Love your Poker Face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, first of all - you are so stinking cute! Second, reading through your posts (this one especially) reminds me of me. Not only the the headphones, and you dancing, and singing (that is totally me), but just the post itself. It is like I am writing it. I reaffirms why we were such great friends - because we are so much alike. I just love you to death, and love your blog, and your new haircut too! Love ya girlie!
    ~Chan

    ReplyDelete