Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dinner Rolls vs Breadsticks

Yesterday I made dinner for two families in my neighborhood that needed meals. I decided to make soup because it's easy to make a big batch of it. But, you can't have soup without some sort of bread. I could have bought rolls from the store, but I knew that fresh, home made rolls would be so much better. And, they sounded so good. I usually just use my bread recipe and make rolls out of it instead of bread loaves, but this time I decided to find an actual roll recipe to use.

I searched the internet and found a recipe that looked easy, and it made 2 dozen which was a good amount of rolls, so I would only have to double the batch. I read over the directions several times and seemed confident I could handle it. I mean... how hard can it be to make rolls right?

I got up in the morning, ran to the store, came home and started the rolls. I spent around 3-4 hours making these rolls. I put them in the oven to bake, I was so excited! I pulled them out and I realized that I RUINED them!!!!! I ruined 4 dozen rolls!!!! I was devastated!!!

I had been baking all morning, and I still had the soup to make. With only 2 hours before dinner was supposed to be dropped off I had ruined the rolls and had no time to start over.

Look at them! They are sad, and scary looking!
Instead of being these nice warm, butter covered, pieces of fluff they were these thick, solid, chunkies of bread!

I contemplated taste testing one, and if they tasted okay then just delivering them anyways.... but I just couldn't bring myself to give them to anyone by my own family to eat. (That statement is securing me the mother of the year award!) :)

My kids tried them, and actually liked them. So, I bagged them up and am saving them for dinners throughout the week.

But, I was still left with a problem...... what to do about getting some bread for my meal. I could exist off of just carbs... I love Bread! In my opinion, soup is no good without bread! Most meals are no good without bread, in my book!

I called my friend out of desperation. I just needed to have a mini nervous breakdown before I could continue on with my dinner.

She saved my life.... there I was, hyperventilating on the phone about Mr. Blue Eyes still napping so I couldn't go to the store, and how I needed to start the soup, blah blah blah.... and she whipped out this recipe for these breadsticks that take about 30 minutes to make from start to finish! NO WAY!!! (Elaine moment.... if she was there I think I would have totally hit her and pushed her over, just like Elaine.)

I thought it was worth a try. She gave me the recipe and I got right to work. They totally came out prefect, and it took no time at all! It was so easy, I almost cried. I love this breadstick recipe, we are best friends. I will use it from now on with soup instead of rolls.

I went to battle with my dinner rolls and got my butt kicked.... I'm not about to do that again!

Here is the picture of my leftover breadsticks. I didn't have time to take a picture of the nice looking ones that I gave away.

They do look a little mangy, but I was in a hurry, and partially crazy at this point. I am sure next time I can make them look a little nicer.

Okay, here is the website I got the roll recipe from. She said in her instructions to follow the recipe exactly to get the best rolls ever... well I followed her recipe exactly, and mine were totally jacked up! I think I know what went wrong though.... I just mixed in all of the flour it called for without thinking about it. Usually when I make bread I add the flour slowly and watch the dough, and just wing it when it comes to the amount of flour. But this website made it very clear to follow the recipe exactly, so that is what I did.

If I ever attempt dinner rolls again, I think I might give this recipe another go, but I will only add the first 3 cups of flour and then slowly add the 4th cup as needed, instead of adding everything all at once. I noticed my dough didn't look nearly as sticky as hers did in the picture.

Also, I read on the comments section of this recipe, that people thought it was a little bland and were adding 2 tsp of salt instead of one. I agree with them, it's a little bland so I think I would add more salt next time.

Here is the recipe for my life saving breadsticks!!!

Breadsticks

1 Tbl yeast

1 ½ cups warm water

2 T sugar

½ t salt

3 ½ flour

4 T butter

Dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar & let it sit and bubble up. Then add salt and flour. Kneed dough for a few minutes. Let dough rest for 10 minutes. Melt butter, brush some on bottom of pan. Roll out dough and brush dough with butter. Then add parmesian cheese, garlic salt, salad supreme, ect. Cut strips 1 ½ inches wide and about 6 inches long, and twist. Place in pan. Bake @ 375 for 15 – 20 minutes.


In my opinion on Dinner Rolls vs Breadsticks, Breadsticks totally rocked! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment