Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sopapillas

So.... I was at church today, and I was starving. Church starts at 9 am folks. Getting everyone up, dressed, and ready to go all by 9 am leaves absolutely NO time for me to eat breakfast. So, there I was, starving, in a room full of about 50 kids from the ages of 7 - 11, trying to keep my snarling stomach under control, when the lady who was leading the music started talking to the kids about Spring time, and Bees.... What does this have to do with Sopapillas you ask? Everything.... she started talking about how bees like honey, and my brain clicked! Did she say honey? Mmmmmm..... Sopapillas. :) Every time I hear the word Honey, I think Sopapillas. I had to have them.
Did I have a recipe? NO! Have I ever made them before? NO! But, I wasn't about to let that stop me! I have Google.... with Google I can conquer the world! (Have I mentioned that I love Google?)
So, here is my first time attempt at Sopapillas.

Yum! :)
(these are the pretty ones... not all of them turned out pretty!)

These are the ingredients I used. Plus 3/4 cup of water.

You take your Flour, Baking Powder, and salt and you sift them into a bowl.

Once that is all sifted you add your Shortening.

I then used my pastry cutter and mixed everything together until all of the shortening was mixed in and the flour mixture looked a little crumbly.

Then you add your water and mix until it turns into dough. The instructions I read said to use your hands to mix. I hate using my hands for stuff like that. I'm just lazy, why would I do it with my hands when I have modern electronics? I do have a Bosch mixer that I use for making everything, but my mixer doesn't mix little portions of dough very well. That is the one thing I don't like about my Bosch, I can't just make 1 pizza crust, or 1 loaf of bread. If it's not A substantial amount of dough, then it just flings the stuff around in the bowl and it doesn't mix anything. (and yes all of you Bosch snobs out there, I am complaining about my mixer, and that is okay, so just deal with it!) I did end up mixing this with my hands and it actually worked out really well, and it wasn't that hard.

Once mixed, break up and roll into little balls. I weighed mine, and I got 8 portions that weighed around 2.2 0z. The recipe I followed said to break your dough into 12 portions, but they just looked to small for me. The bigger the better right? :) So, I only did 8! Then cover and let sit for about 20 minutes.

After the 20 minutes is up, you take each ball of dough and mash it flat and cut it into 4 triangles. I then took each triangle and rolled over it a few times with the rolling pin to make them thin enough to bubble up when you cook them. The first few I did, I just mashed with my hands, and they were way to thick, and didn't bubble up at all.

Heat your oil up in a frying pan, once hot add your dough pieces into the hot oil and cook until brown on both sides. Watch out, they have a little bit of an attitude, the oil has to be just right temperature or they won't really bubble up like they should.

Okay, when I first started heating up my oil, I set my burner to 6, but I was putting the scones in and they weren't bubbling up. I tried a few things with the dough to see if I could fix the problem and finally figured out the oil needed to be hotter. I turned up the heat to 7, and that worked really well until I was almost finished. I only had a few left and they stopped bubbling up again, so I turned the heat down to in between 6 & 7 and they started bubbling up again. So, the oil has to be just the right temperature, or they don't cook as well. But, bubblie or not, they tasted amazing!

Yum.... could life get any better than this? I sifted some powdered sugar on and then drizzled honey on top. Sopapillas combined with a nice cold Diet Coke.... It was a powdered sugar, honey covered, paradise! :) These were consumed within 3.5 seconds after this picture was taken.

(Here is the link the website I got this recipe from.)
Recipe

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbl. shortening
3/4 cup water
2 cups vegetable oil

Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into bowl. Then add shortening and blend until mixture is corse and crumbles. Using your hands add water and mix into a smooth dough. Kneed lightly on a floured surface. Cut dough into 12 pieces, roll into round balls, and set aside. Heat oil in frying pan or deep fryer. Roll dough balls into thin circles, and cut into triangles. Fry in hot oil until golden brown, turn over when dough puffs up. Remove and drain onto paper towels.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! This makes me want to make sopapillas, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't beleive you did it. :) Good for you. I counted 38 children in the room, but I failed to count James, Kevin, or Bro Meismas, so that could add about 12 more kids just those three grown men. :)

    ReplyDelete