Monday, May 30, 2011

My New Bathroom

I know... I haven't blogged in FOREVER!!! I'm sorry! I've been crazy busy. But, I have tons of things to post about. This post is about my most recent project I have been working on, and I finally finished it. I am so excited.

I have a new Bathroom! It's so nice to finally have it done. We started this project in December (during Christmas break).... yes, as in 6 months ago and we are just finishing it.

This project has been a long time coming. I have lived in my house for 5 years now and this is how my bathroom looked for 4 1/2 years. White walls, no decorations, nothing... totally bare and boring. This is my guest bathroom too, so anyone who came to my house and needed to use the restroom would see this big room of boringness. I knew the theme I wanted to do in my bathroom, but I was never sure how to actually get the effect that I wanted.
(There is Bug in her pj's. She loves to help J with his projects, she is his little buddy)

More white walls....

Blah, Blah, Blah.....





Here is where things get exciting, frustrating, and never ending... this is the story of our bathroom remodel and why it took us 6 months to finish instead of the 1 week we had scheduled to finish it in. J came home one day with a new painting technique he wanted to try and said the bathroom would be a perfect place to try it out because I wanted to do a Beach theme in the bathroom and this new technique would make all of the walls look kinda old, and they would be a light brown, which is a "sandy" color. So I agreed. We decided that since J gets the whole week off between Christmas and New Years, that would be the perfect time to get started.
I don't know what this specific technique is called, but what you do is you put drywall mud up on the walls, spread it all over. You need to make it look a little messy, so that there are lines and holes in it. Then you can use either Stain or Paint mixed with glaze and you sponge it on the walls, and the paint gets in the lines, cracks, and little holes and makes them look darker and that makes the walls look old. It sounded easy enough.... or so we thought!

Okay, here is a run down of what not to do. We were 2 days into our project and we totally screwed it up and had to start over from scratch. I almost cried! That was a very bad day! We put the mud up all over the wall, and we had decided to use stain on the wall instead of paint because we already had some stain. So we got about 3/4 of the way done and we were running low on the stain that we had, so we went to the store and bought some more stain. We came home to hurry up and finish staining the walls, (thinking we would be done with the walls within a few hours) we broke open the new can of stain, dipped the sponge in and started rubbing it on the wall and it was the WRONG color!!!! What???? We double checked the cans and they were both the same.... what was the problem? We then realized that the stain we had already had at our house was old enough that most of the pigment had settled and gooped down at the bottom of the can, so when we opened up a new, fresh can of stain all of the pigment was mixed in correctly, and we had 2 different colors of stain on our walls!

You can't just paint over stain... there was no fixing this. It looked awful, and the color difference was huge. I wish I had a picture to show you, but I was to devastated to get any pictures. The only solution to our problem was to sand off all of the walls we had spent a day putting mud up on, and start the process all over again.

(This is one of the only pictures I have of our first attempt. As you can tell from looking at the floor, it's really messy to work with all of that mud. I am still cleaning stuff up off of the floor.)

Okay, so we rallied our spirits, and just dived into attempt # 2. We were to far into this project to just not finish. We decided that we were just going to do it right this time, so we took the mirror off of the wall, the light fixtures off, and we even took the base boards, and the trim off of the door frame. There was no cutting corners this time, no mistakes. Or so we thought AGAIN!

We put the mud up all over the walls again, and we had googled a new way of doing this technique. You get a lighter color of paint, and paint a base coat on the walls, than you get a darker color of paint and glaze and you mix them together. So, we got a really dark brown color, and mixed it with a clear glaze, then you take the sponge, dip it in, and rub all over the walls. We figured using paint would be easier to fix than Stain if we screwed up again.

We painted our base coat of paint on the walls and we were mixing the darker paint and the glaze (I think the mixture is 4 parts glaze to 1 part of paint) when we realized that the base coat of paint was bubbling off of the walls and starting to peel off. WTH???? There were these huge bubbles all over the wall. You could literally pop one and peel huge sections of paint off of the wall! This has never happened to me when I've painted my whole entire life. I was shocked, ticked off, tired, on the verge of tears, and ready to just set my bathroom on fire and collect the insurance money on it! I was done! Luckily for me J has way more patience than I do, and he went straight to the computer to research our problem.

Our problem was that all of the dust from the drywall mud on the wall was making it impossible for the paint to stick to it. We discovered you need to buy this stuff called New Drywall Primer that you paint on your walls after putting mud on them. This primer will stick to the dust covered walls, and keep the dust from escaping, so that you can paint on top of a wall covered in drywall mud.

(This picture is one after we had peeled off all of the base paint from the wall)

This picture is one of J putting the mud up on the walls. It's kinda hard to see anything, but I was hoping to show everyone how you can leave lines in it to make the texture show up when you put the paint and the glaze on the wall.

Here is Bug, in a different set of pj's helping J paint the primer on the wall. She is a good little helper.

Okay, so attempt #3! We painted the primer on the wall, painted the lighter base paint on the wall, and them sponged the darker paint/glaze mixture on the walls.... it took forever. J is a total perfectionist, so it was making him crazy that the color wasn't as even as he would have liked it. He kept trying to fix different spots, trying to make them all look evenly colored, and we just decided that the more you mess with it, the more it looks like it needs help. It took J a while to just let his OCDness go and just let it be all random and non even. I thought it looked amazing, and I loved the fact that the color was lighter is some spots and darker in others. After all, the whole point is to make the walls look older, and a little chaotic. So, if you are an OCD perfectionist, this technique might not be something you will ever want to try.

It took us all of Christmas break just to get the walls painted along with the base boards, and the trim painted and put up. We did cut the mirror we already had in half, and then J made a frame for the mirror out of wood and we painted it the same dark brown color as the trim and the baseboards. I thought it was a nice touch. When J first mentioned cutting the mirror, I thought he was crazy. Like any normal human being, I just assumed that if you tried to cut a mirror, it would shatter. Boy was I wrong.... J picked up a glass cutter for $2.95 at Home Depot, and cut the mirror in half with no problems. That was something seriously cool I learned from this remodel from hell! :)

We had no time after that to finish decorating the bathroom, or touching up the paint. We also needed to make a shelf and paint it, paint the door, and put the fixtures back up, like the toilet paper holder, towel holder, ect. This is why it took us 6 months to finish it. We had no time until this 4 day weekend, in which we should have been camping but our girls both got sick and Mr. Blue Eyes broke his toe, so we decided to stay home. I was bummed to miss camping, but now I see it as a blessing in disguise.

Here it is, my Bathroom.... it's finally finished! :) I'm so happy. Let me know what you think.


These giant flip flops complete my world. When I saw these in the store time stood still. I almost couldn't' breath. Heavenly light was shinning down, Angels were singing, I felt all warm and fuzzy inside. I knew we were soul mates for life. I had to have them! :)



I hope you all like my new and amazing bathroom and, I hope you all learn something helpful from our many attempts at getting it right. It was awful to be in the middle of all of the chaos of this trial and error project, but I am glad to have it finally finished and put in the past!

2 comments:

  1. I think it looks awesome! Good job! Way to never give up!!!

    ReplyDelete