Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The NICU


Okay, so this post is really just for me.  I hope it's not too depressing.

 A few days ago, I came across a CD that the Nurses at the NICU made for Mr. Blue eye's while he was there.  It brought back a ton of memories.  That got me thinking about how I had lost the CD for 3 1/2 years, and I had never even seen these pictures. They were too hard to look at when we first brought him home and then I misplaced the CD.  These pictures could have very easily been lost forever and I felt like a total jerk. Even though they are sad pictures to look at, they are from a huge part of my life, and it would be a shame to really loose them.  

A few months ago my computer crashed and thanks to J, who can do anything I have discovered,  he was able to recover almost everything.  I almost lost all of my pictures and I spent a few days in a total panic because all of my pictures are on my computer and no where else.  When I found these pictures the other day, I realized that I should probably start blogging again.  Since I don't have time to scrapbook anymore, if I put them on my blog they are at least on the internet, so if my computer ever crashes again, or I loose a CD full of important pictures they aren't lost forever. 

So, as sad as it is for me to look through all of these pictures and relive this experience in my life, I am blogging about it, so I have all of Mr. Blue eyes pictures from his stay in the NICU all in one place.  

So, this is your warning.... if NICU pictures make you cry, or if you are already over emotional, then STOP!!! Don't read any further into this post.  

(deep breaths....)  Here we go....

He stopped breathing right about the time that the Life Flight crew showed up to transport him to a hospital with a NICU. These next few pictures are of them working on him, trying to keep him breathing, and intibating him so they could move him.





J was taking all of these pictures with his phone.  I hadn't seen him yet and J was worried that he was going to die before I would ever get the chance to see him. 





This was the first time I got to see him.  It was really sad seeing him like this.  I was still unable to walk, and so I hadn't seen him at all and had no idea he was doing this bad.  It was a total shock to see him on a breathing machine, with tubes all over the place.
(Yes I look terrible, don't judge!  I wrecked my car the night before. I woke up & my water broke first thing in the morning. So, I still have bed head from 7am, I'd had major surgery, and it was 11pm before they finally brought him into my room to say goodbye.)



John wasn't able to go with him in the Helicopter, so he had to drive down to the hospital he was being admitted to. They are ready for takeoff in this picture.


This room was very overwhelming to me.  There were computers, monitors, and tubes everywhere. This is where Mr. Blue eye's called home for the first few weeks of his life.



This picture always makes me smile a little.  See how his knees are bent? He was 5 1/2 weeks early and he weighed 6lbs 7oz.  He was the biggest baby in the NICU and none of the stuff they use for baby's that are sick enough to be intibated, fit him.  He had to be squeezed into everything. The thing he is laying on is supposed to wrap around the bottom 1/2 of their bodies and strap across their tummies to keep them from moving around too much with the breathing tube in, but they couldn't get it to fit unless his legs were bunched up. He was almost too long for the little bed they had him in.  :)


This was a few days after her was born. He was off the ventilator and I was finally able to hold him.


These were his cool shades for being under the Bili lights.  :)


He was always pulling weird faces. :)  I think it might have been from the tape on his face to keep the oxygen tube in place.  :)


As sad as all of this was, and still is.... this story does have a happy ending....
Today Mr. Blue eyes is very much alive and well.  He is crazy busy, hilarious, and "vibrant" is how the dentist the other day referred to him, which I thought was a very nice way to describe him. :) We love him and his larger than life personality.  I wouldn't have him any other way.  So, it was all worth it in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment